Monday, May 23, 2011

Chicken Margherita

You know when four o'clock hits, and you still aren't sure what to make for dinner? I did that today. I was lounging around on the couch after my Jillian Michael's workout not wanting to move. Then I remembered that I had fresh mozarella, pesto, and tomatoes waiting for me in the fridge. 
Which left me feeling excited, and confused. Because suddenly, the possibilities seemed endless.
If you have never purchased fresh mozarella, then you are missing out on one of life's great culinary pleasures. Mixed with good pesto, garlic, tomato, and balsamic vinegar it is divine.

1 recipe for Balsamic Baked Chicken balsamic sauce prepped
3 chicken breasts, thawed
6 oz. fresh mozarella diced (Use an egg slicer and slice it three different directions to get a perfect dice easily)
2 Roma tomatoes diced
2 T. fresh Pesto (I buy mine in the fresh foods section at Costco, it's the best pesto I have found)
1/2 t. kosher salt

In 9x13 baking dish prep Balsamic Chicken sauce and set aside.  Lightly combine the mozarella, Roma tomatoes, pesto and kosher salt. Take thawed chicken breasts and lightly slice into the side, creating a deep pocket in the meat. Stuff the meat to the brim with the pesto mixture and place into the baking dish, careful turning to coat with the balsamic sauce. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. I reserved my left over pesto mixture for a pasta side dish, it was awesome.

This will serve two adults and four children. If you need more, plan to double the recipe. 

For easy variations, you can bake the balsamic chicken without stuffing it, and top with the fresh pesto mixture.

No comments: