Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Easy Red Sauce

He liked it! When that man of mine likes something he rocks back and forth. I can always tell when something I've made for dinner tickles his tummy because he starts to slowly rock back and forth while he eats. It's cute, and a little weird, but mostly cute.

Yesterday I wasn't in the mood for a big dinner. I had lunch with my brother and Cafe Rio got the best of me.

I ended up going for some pasta with red sauce. I love red sauce. Marinara, red enchilada, I could drink them both. Through the years I have made various versions of each of the above. Last night was no different, except my man said to me, "Woman, think back to how you made this sauce, and memorize it. I want to eat this sauce every day for the rest of my life." No really, he did.

2 T. butter
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 t. garlic powder (I was out of fresh, 1 clove of fresh would be even yummier)
1 t. oregano
1 t. basil
1/4 - 1/2 t. crushed red pepper (go easy if you don't want a lot of heat)
1/4 t. black pepper
1 large can crushed tomato
4 oz. cream cheese (I abuse cream cheese. Cream cheese is always the secret around here.)
salt to taste

Cooked pasta of your choice

In a large skillet melt butter and saute onion. To onion add garlic, oregano, basil, crushed red pepper, and black pepper, then let saute until fragrant. Add the can of crushed tomato and warm over low-medium heat. When the crushed tomato is warm, add the cream cheese slowly stirring it has melted into the sauce. Take a little taste and gauge about how much salt to add. I would add it in 1/4 t. increments if you are nervous about not having a measurement. Canned tomatoes can vary a great deal on how much salt needed to enhance the flavor well. When warmed and perfectly salted, toss with cooked pasta and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

And if you are my cowboy (who is really not a cowboy) then you will love it. And if you are my middle daughter, it will be too spicy. And if you are me you will be so happy your man loves his dinner.

No comments: